Saturday, June 12, 2010

Asian Burritos

I got a huge, beautiful cabbage at the farmers market last week.  After a week of making my kids try cabbage, I can honestly say that they are not as big a fan as I am.   At least they weren't until tonight.

We had been enjoying ourselves outside today, when all of the sudden I realized it was time for dinner.  I didn't have a plan, but I had a fridge full of leftovers to work with - rice, grilled chicken, and - of course - cabbage.  An idea began to form . . . asian burritos!  (I know, not that different from lettuce wraps, but I was trying to please an 8 year old, and a 4 year old - I was desperate.)

So here is the recipe, with a couple modifications.  I was totally winging it, so you may need to alter the amounts a little.

2 grilled chicken breasts, diced into small pieces
1 red pepper, small diced
1 1/2 cups cooked rice
4 slices of pineapple, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup pineapple juice
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 1/2 TBS corn starch dissolved in 2 TBS of warm water
8 large cabbage leaves
cooking spray

1) Coat a large skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium high
2) Put cabbage leaves in pan (in a single layer - you'll have to do it in batches) and cover
3) Cook for about 1 minute on each side, until it is bright green, and has a few char marks (cooking the cabbage takes away some of the bitterness)
4) When the cabbage is done, place all of the leaves on a plate and set aside
5) Put another coat of cooking spray in the pan, add the diced pepper, and saute until softened (2-3 minutes)
6) Add the rice and chicken to the pan, stirring to combine
7) Cover with the lid and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally
8) Add soy sauce, pineapple juice and cornstarch slurry
9) Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally for an additional 2-3 minutes
10) Add the pineapple, and cook an additional minute
11) Take a cabbage leaf, put s large spoonful of the chicken-rice mixture in the center, and roll like a burrito

If you want to add some heat, you could add some red pepper flakes.

Enjoy!

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment